Monday, April 6, 2009

And so, why do I care?

I have been bugged for months by people, and you know who you are, to start a blog. "You can write. You should put your words "out there". It was the "out there" that always worried me. I wasn't sure where "out there" was, or if I wanted my words, my thoughts, my feelings wherever it was!
I have written my whole life...mostly to myself, because there, there was no lying, no compromise. I said exactly what I thought/felt/meant at that moment with no fear of recrimination or blame. I knew no one else would ever read it, so I could be absolutely honest. Obviously, the thought that my words/thoughts/feelings were being immediately sent to anyone with access to a computer posed a serious worry, on two fronts.
One, what if someone I knew saw it and didn't like what I said? Was offended? Was hurt? The other, finding myself writing an "edited" version of what I wanted to say to keep #1 from happening. Can't say right this moment which one unnerved me more!
Even in my novels, I wrote "honestly"...not ever believing anyone else would see it, and writing "in the moment". I don't believe anyone who knows me would ever believe I had those thoughts, feelings in me...can't blame them! I've spent a lifetime NOT putting that "me" out there! My writing has always been one of the few things I considered "mine"!
So you can see my dilemma. The "blog" is new to me...it feels like a cross between a journal and a chat room...trying to connect by being who you are, while watching every word you say for fear of offending, which I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with who we really are!

So. I have entered this new realm, tho I still find myself "editing" what I say here...wondering if it's "good" enough, or "witty" enough. And finally deciding that, to anyone who reads, or follows this or whatever they call it, it will just have to "be enough". For me, it's enough that I put it "out there".

Write on!

2 comments:

  1. Blog because you want to, not because you feel as tho you have to, just to comply with other peoples' expectations!!! [[[friendly hugs]]]

    I've been blogging for almost five years now, and I still enjoy it, much more than plurk and all the other stuff :)

    Cyalayta
    Mal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely right! I think that's why I resisted doing it for so long...I was afraid I would do just that...write for other's, and not for myself!


    Thanks Mal :)

    ReplyDelete